Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:45:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Mark Powell" <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using dnscache locally with FBSD 6.x

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Bill Moran wrote:

>>    However, I use svscan to start up dnscache, and that starts very late in
>> the boot. That means I can't just have the single "nameserver 127.0.0.1"
>> line in resolv.conf, as every lookup would timeout until dnscache started.
>> That means I need to replace resolv.conf early in the boot with the
>> addresses of remote dns caches:
>
> Have you investigated the possibility of moving svscan's startup earlier in
> the boot sequence?  I don't know whether the svscan startup script is rcng
> compliant yet, but if it is, you could move it to /etc/rc.d and move it
> _way_ up in the startup sequence.

I think it is rcng compliant. However, once in /etc/rc.d, how is the order
of execution determined? I expect I will need to get it to run about the
same time that named is usually started.

> Another option is to put addresses that need to resolve before svscan has
> started into /etc/hosts so that they don't need DNS.  This could be
> a maintenance nightmare, though, if there are many addresses.

That sounds like a nightmare :(
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,