Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:03:09 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Locking Issue

> I guess I'm still just a bit stunned that a bug this obvious not only
> found it's way into the STABLE branch, but is still there.  Maybe it's
> not as obvious as I think, or not many folks are using it?  All I know
> for sure here is that if I had upgraded to 6.1 my network would have
> been crippled.

Strange, since i upgraded to FreeBSD-6.1 and the NFS server to Fedora Core 5,
my machine, NFS client is happy, and lockd works. It is first time since
years i have no problem. It certainly did not work with FreeBSD-5 and i still
have a machine with FreeBSD-6.0 which does not work properly (frequently loses
the NFS mount, but it gets remounted some times later by amd). Anyways i have
exactly 0 problem with the 6.1 machine. I could extend that to say that
everything works very well on that machine, nothing is slow, including disk
access. This has not always been the case. Stability wise, i have not seen any
panic, hang or whatever since i have compiled a kernel adapted to my hardware.
I got a panic with the generic kernel soon after installation, but now
machine is totally stable.

--

Michel TALON