Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:09:40 +0000
From:      James O'Gorman <james@netinertia.co.uk>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to deal with large number of patches in a port?

Hi,

I'm about to update a port I maintain (sysutils/boxbackup), but due to
the upstream software not currently being PREFIX-clean, I have a large
number of patches (29 patches in total) I need to apply to the source
tree. The majority of them are fairly small (just a few lines), but some
of them are a bit larger.

I've discussed this with the software developers and the patches have
already gone into the development tree, but until another release comes
out I need to patch this release in the port.

I just wanted to check how I should handle this, before I submit the PR.
Should I add these files to the port directly (i.e. create a directory
files/patches and put the patches in there, setting PATCHDIR to
${FILESDIR}/patches), or should I put these on a webserver and set
PATCHES and PATCH_SITES?

Cheers,

James