Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:42:49 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        david wilson <gonadpyle@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with booting and installing

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 06:50:45PM -0800, david wilson wrote:

> I am using win xp on a hp laptop.
> I want to run bsd. So i get the cd burned and then
> when i reboot my system. it starts up in the usual way.
> i have tried setting bios settings for the boot device and
> nothiing seems to work. any other help please?

It is not quite clear, but I think you are saying that you cannot
boot from the new CD you just burned.

The most likely problem is that you burned it incorrectly.  For me
the terminology gets rather fuzzy when trying to describe this, but
you must burn the ISO image you downloaded directly to the CD.

Usually, if you use the CD for something like backups or to hold a
bunch of picture files, you first create an image containing the
files and that image gets burned to the CD.

But, with the install ISOs, they are already an image that needs to
be burned as-is - no further image making.

Unfortunately, although I have made many dual boot systems with FreeBSD
and XP, I have never used the XP to burn a CD (my earliest installs were
actually with Floppies and later versions I burned CDs using FreeBSD), so
I am not familiar with the utilities available on XP nor any of their
parameters/syntax.  You will have to study their documentation.   Someone
else may know the utilities and their parameters better.

The other possible problem is if the BIOS will boot from you CD.
If the BIOS is from the last 10 years or so, it should have that
ability.   It sounds like you have already looked in to this one
so it is probably not the problem.  The first one above is probably it.

Good luck,

////jerry