Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:25:27 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current failing on PC164

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:41:11AM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > A test kernel with some of my changes in it died with a pmap_emulate
>  > error.  When I disabled all debugging options, removed things like
>  > INET6, gif, faith, usb, etc., I got a kernel that booted and ran ok.
>  > It looks like we are having a problem with kernels over 4meg possibly.
>  > Thre have been reports of similar problems on i386 as well.
>
> Bernd's problem was an unaligned access error, probably in the witness
> or mutex debug code.  This (probably) has nothing to do with pmap
> problems.

And my kernel.old is not over 4M:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3186954 Jan 23  2000 kernel.old/kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3106553 Jan 24  2000 kernel/kernel

I will readd the options to see what actually caused this and
get the Informations that Andrew requested.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de