Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:52:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
To:        netadmin@primex.prontel.net (Lester A. Mesa)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many Virtual Hosts?

Lester A. Mesa wrote:

> According to http://www.apache.org/docs-1.2/misc/FAQ.html#fdlim has anyone
> found a way to run more than 128 to 250 virtual hosts on an Apache Web
> Server 1.3.12 running on FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE?
> Our system is a Rackmount Dual Pentium ]|[ 500, 512MB Ram, u3w SCSI HD.  I
> know that it all depends on how many hits per day the server will be
> getting, though we do not have an approximate amount but I still need to
> prepare the servers to take as many hits as possible and to handle as many
> virtual host as it can.  Any information will be very valuable.

FreeBSD 3.x has a default value of 1024 for FD_SETSIZE, which means that
you already can support > 250 vhosts. To get the most number of fds,
first bump up the number of available fds for the kernel and the Apache
user uid. Bumping 'maxusers' to something like 256 in your kernel
config file will do that for you. 'ulimit -a' is your friend.
After increasing the kernel/user number of fds, you can compile
Apache and add '-DFD_SETSIZE=4096' (for example) to give you the
capability for thousands. You can get more or less by how you
allocate access logs and error logs (if each vhost gets their own,
then you chew up fds faster).