Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:22:46 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using a laptop as a main machine

There are advantages to desktops, as well as to laptops.

Consider the following scenario: you spill some coffee on your
keyboard and suddenly your laptop is completely useless without
around $200 - $1000 of parts and a week of downtime.

What are you going to do?

More importantly, what could have been done differently?

Suddenly, lugging a cheap $10 external keyboard around and using
it - and an external mouse - doesn't seem so bad. In this
scenario, you always have a backup keyboard and a backup mouse,
which you almost never use.

Similarly, a larger display becomes ergonomically desirable. Flat
displays are wonderful for reclaiming acres of desktop that you
haven't seen since 1985, if you use the same desktop regularly.

A cradle allowing graceful transitioning from desktop to mobile
mode becomes desirable; then you can leave your external keyboard
and high-resolution display permanently plugged in. Really, a
cradle at each of your terminii is best.

This leads towards the question of spares. Not just a spare hard
drive, but also a spare laptop. No kidding; you might find it
better to skip the gigahertz model and look for someplace where
you can buy two or three of last year's model for the same price
(unless you need to play DVDs, watch TV, or some such).

Of course, when you do this, you're set. You have multiple
cradles; one at home, one at work. If you spill coffee, you buy a
new keyboard for $10. If your computer gets damaged, you pull the
hard drive and memory and use the chassis for your favorite
purposes - educational, ballistic, or both.  (-;

I haven't mentioned backups, but that's where your desktop server
comes in. Your desktop server can incorporate a lot of
functionality that your laptop can't. RAID controllers, high
capacity disk drives, tape drives and other archival devices (IE,
8mm, 4mm, DLT, Zip, etc).

A robust modern desktop environment might include the following.

(1)    A PDA device replicating via a cable, to a laptop.
(2)    A laptop replicating via a network, to a desktop.
(3)    A desktop replicating to hard drives, via a RAID card.
(4)    The hard drives replicating to an offline storage device.
(5)    The tapes being stored with other, similar tapes offsite.

Hope this is helpful in understanding how your desktop and laptop
complement one another.

-- richard

Bakul Shah wrote:

> I am getting very tired of enegry wasting hot desktops with
> noisy, dusty unreliable fans, and the need for a separate UPS
> and all that and think it is past time to switch to laptops
> almost completely.  I am sure a lot of you have gone through
> the same transition!  So some questions for people who mainly
> use a laptop and lug it around everywhere: what features do
> you find most useful?  I am not looking for specific model
> recommendations but it would be nice to know just how well
> your current laptop meets your needs and what would you
> change to make it better.
>
> I realize this is a broad topic and there will be different
> personal preferences but I am in fact looking for different
> points of views.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- bakul

Richard A Childers/KG6HAC -- Senor UNIX System & Network
Administrator
"Dont forget nothing." Maj Rogers, standing orders, 1st Ranger
Bn, 1759