Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:09:06 +0400 (MSK)
From:      Kluchnikov Grigory <grn@ispras.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, davew@sai.co.za
Subject:   Re: Replication of user accounts

Dave Wilson wrote:

> Hi guys, howzit going ?
>
> Is there a way to replicate users from one FreeBSD 3.4 Box to another one?
> Even if I have to do it manually it will not be a problem, ie copying the
> /etc/passwd across from on server to another.
> What files are needed, apart from /etc/passwd to replicate the user accounts
> across ?

Read 'man 5 passwd' and 'man pwd_mkdb'.
There are several files:
FILES
     /etc/passwd         ASCII password file, with passwords removed
     /etc/pwd.db         db(3)-format  password database, with passwords re-
                         moved
     /etc/master.passwd  ASCII password file, with passwords intact
     /etc/spwd.db        db(3)-format  password database, with passwords in-
                         tact

SEE ALSO
     chpass(1),  login(1),  passwd(1),  getpwent(3),  login_getclass(3),
     yp(4),  login.conf(5),  adduser(8),  pw(8),  pwd_mkdb(8),  vipw(8)