Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:51:15 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        archie@whistle.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup() macro in sys/malloc.h

>Anyway, if we're going to -Wall'ify the kernel (as we should)
>then we need to update sytle(9) to reflect that.
>
>In fact, style(9) should say:
>
>  If at all possible, your code should compile without warnings
>  when the gcc -Wall flag is given.

Avoiding warnings is more an engineering than a stylistic matter.
You turn on warnings to help avoid bugs that the compiler can find
easily.  You ask everyone else to turn on warnings so that compiling
their sources with the same CFLAGS as your sources doesn't cause a
spew of warnings.

>As it stands now (and I QUOTE!) it says:
>
>    Don't use parentheses unless they're required for precedence, or
>    the statement is really confusing without them.
>
>             a = b->c[0] + ~d == (e || f) || g && h ? i : j >> 1;
>
>That's ridiculous!

I think it's trying to be funny.  This makes it a bad example either
way.  Perhaps its point is that complicated expressions can't be made
less confusing by adding parentheses.

Bruce