Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:13:23 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jonathan Delgado <delgado@cvrc.mgh.harvard.edu>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCA backplane

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:20:01 -0400, Jonathan Delgado wrote:
> I am considering a Supermicro 6040G "SuperServer" as the base for a new
> system that I need to build. The hardware seems pretty swank, and one of
> its features is 4 hot-plug (same as hot-swap?) U160 SCA bays/backplane with
> a QLogic GEM354 management controller. I have built many systems before,
> but this is the first time I would have ever used a SCSI backplane. So if
> anyone has had any experience with them (or like products) I have a couple
> questions:
>
> Is this an item that should behave transparently to FreeBSD?

Yes.

> For the hot-swap ability, should I be able to do this functionally under
> FreeBSD  with a live system?

Yes, but you don't want to, for instance, pull a disk that is mounted or
anything like that.  For the most part you can just pull the disk and then
rescan the bus using camcontrol so FreeBSD can detect that the disk is
gone.

I've got what is basically a 6040 -- a Supermicro 370DE6 motherboard and a
Supermicro SC860 case (I think the 6040 comes with a SC840 case) -- and
it works fine with -stable.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry