Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:13:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

In message <199707191649.JAA15918@kithrup.com> Sean Eric Fagan writes:
: The visual config stuff is neat, and can be a lifesaver... but requiring
: users to do it is going to bite, *hard*.  I had to help a (very technical)
: friend go through the process -- this is someone who had installed linux on
: his system with no problem, he's dealt with funky PC hardware before, etc.
: And yet he needed help to config the kernel before booting.
:
: I really think forcing more people to do it is bad.

I know that the number one PITA when trying to get FreeBSD running on
new systems that I build from random hardware that floats my way is
finding where the @#!$#&!@*#%(* the ethernet card is, and making sure
that the IRQ is the right one.  I'd be a lot happier if we just
dropped the irq bit completely from the config file for ethernet cards
and have them be found just like the lp devices are found.  At least
as an option.

Using the visual editor is nice, but a real pain to even the most
experienced users of the system.  It will be a nightmare for many
novices.

Warner