Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:57:50 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Alan.Robinson@fujitsu-siemens.com, ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing on HP zx6000

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:17:19AM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Marcel muttered something about making an ISO from this alternative tree so
> that it could boot on the HP boxes if there was demand...  It looks like there
> is more already than I was expecting...

Yes, that is unfortunate. I had hoped we had more time to work on all
the issues. Ah, well... adopt, adapt and improve :-)

> Meanwhile, you can get the source that we use on the HP boxes using a
> special cvsup collection of "p4-cvs-ia64", which is *only* on
> cvsup10.freebsd.org.  It will check out in a subdir of projects/ia64/*, so
> put it somewhere out of the way and set up some symlinks or something.
> You should be able to cross build that without too much drama.  You should
> only need the kernel parts in order to get things to boot and install.

A note of warning: we currently assume we can do whatever we want
with this branch, including breaking it beyond repair. If more
people add the branch to the cvsup collections then clearly the
exposure makes it impossible for us to treat it as a private
resource. Not a problem per se, but please speak up if you add
the collection to the cvsup collection list so that we can keep
that in mind when we start working on new things...

I plan to have an ISO somewhere in the next week or so just to
make it easier for people to get started...