Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:29:08 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        `e k i p s <ekips@whack.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom

`e k i p s wrote:

> hello,
> i have been searching the web hoping to find information about this to no
> avail.  although i have found many docs on how to mount a cdrom, i have
> not found anything that deals with my error.  i would like to mount the
> cdrom to play audio cds, but am having no luck.  i can mount data cds no
> problem.  below you'll see my fstab, df -k, and the error that i get when
> trying to mount an audio cd.  thanx in advance for any help that you could
> offer.

> bash-2.03# mount_cd9660  /dev/acd0c /cdrom
> mount_cd9660: Input/output error
>
> again, if anyone could help, that would be great.  thanx again.

No problem.  Whats confusing you here is that you don't "mount" audio
CDs to play them.  Audio CDs don't have a filesystem (like ISO 9660), so
you have to work at a somewhat lower level with the CD-ROM drive to play
the CD.  In FreeBSD there are many gui tools in the ports tree that let
you do this.  cdcontrol(1) is a very nice cli utility that comes with
FreeBSD.  Usually you just need to run "cdcontrol play" to play an audio
CD.

  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org
 / /\/\ \ | | | | | |/ /|_|_  | Views expressed may not reflect those
/_/    \_\|_| |_| |_|\_\|___| | of the Mitre corperation.