Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:13:05 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Tony Landells" <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        "Tony Landells" <ahl@austclear.com.au>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: suroute ??

> For example, where are the modems that people are dialling in to?
Directly
> on a FreeBSD box?

In this particular case we use Cyclades multi-serial port adaptors &
"common or garden
variety" external serial port modems. Many of the permanents will be
moving to some
form of broadband shortly .... probably either Bigpond Direct ADSL
(assuming they
come up with intelligent pricing policies) or otherwise a BPA cable /
PSTN hybrid
so we get both public IPs & halfway respectable speeds.

> Are you running a routing protocol of some sort?  What is it?

nothing

> How do you start PPP/SLIP for the dialins?  Is it done from their
login
> scripts, or are you using something else?

users login to either /usr/sbin/sliplogin, or /usr/sbin/pppd

I intend to change most dialup accounts to /usr/local/bin/ppplogin if
a straightforward &
reliable solution to the routing issue can be devised.