Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:10:10 -0500
From:      Jeremy Gillies <jgillies@cupw-sttp.org>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Hardrive Problems on Laptop with SYSINSTALL

Hello one and all!

I have installed FreeBSD on several different desktops (all running some
flavour of AMD chip)...

I now have to install it on my old laptop. I have made the boot floppies and
plan to install from Parallel cable or floppies (I have all of them ready to
go - ugh!).

The problem is, that when I get to the SYSINSTALL menu, it will not
recognize my HD. It finds my PC card and asks me if I want to install from
that. It finds my floppy, my ports, my everything, but not my HD.

So, when I check the Kernel config in visual mode -- hey, it finds ata0 and
ata1 or IRQs 14 and 15 respectively. Then we go to the sysinstall and it
cannot find any HDs to install to.

Strange...

Here is what I have:

NEC UltraLite Versa
Model PC-410-1521
340 HD
12 mg ram (i know 16 is optimal, but I only need basic stuff here for a
debugger)
and modems, etc... but I just need the machine to run a debugger!

I am installing FreeBSD 4.0 (Mar 2000)

If you need to know more, or can direct me to someone or document that can
help, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jeremy Gillies
Canadian Union of Postal Workers