Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:50:51 +0100
From:      Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   keybell off in rc.conf disables my keyboard in 5.1 release

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD 5.1 with a new kernel (here I only added
options VGA_WIDTH90).
I want do disable the PC's internal beep, so I added from man rc.conf this
to rc.conf:

keybell="off".

After rebooting I was not able to type in anything with my keyboard at the
login - there was absolutely no funtionality (it was dead).
Deleting the keybell entry in my rc.conf (via the livesystem CD and the
option FIxIt) made the keyboard work again.
Can someone point me to the solution of this problem or to some
documentation because I am not able to find anything helpfull.

Here is my rc.conf file:

font8x8="iso15-8x8"
font8x14="iso15-8x14"
font8x16="iso15-8x16"
hostname="bob.bob.de"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 10.100.100.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
inetd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
allscreens_flags="VGA_90x25"
keymap="german.iso"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
saver="daemon"
scrnmap="NO"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
keybell="off".

P.S.: Do disable the beep I set in my .cshrc this:

set	nobeep

But I want to disable generally.

Thanx in advance

Oliver