Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:57:04 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auth fails partly for imap

Historically, Netscape has not supported encrypted (even if it is weak)
authentication for imap and pop3.  Slowly, they add standards as people
complain.  I'm sure the mozilla project is no different.  I know for a
fact that early builds of mozilla did not support cram md5.

Basically, webmail and mozilla are sending clear text authentication.
Pine is a bit smarter and uses cram md5.  Look through the pine
preferences and see if you can downgrade it to clear text.  If not,
there is probably a compile option to use cleartext.  (thats how they
do it in imapd at least)