Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:49:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mousen

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Peter Dufault wrote:

> > > Not quite; I've got a couple of Alps Glidepoint keyboards which have 3
> > > button trackpad pointing devices.  Plus, these things also support the
> > > "tap" gesture as a 4th virtual button.  I don't know if they're still
> > > available any longer, though.
> >
> > Wonderful, I'd given up!  I found a webpage, I'll see if the really sell
> > it (or the web page is just stale) tomorrow.
>
> You haven't covered 3D force feedback devices yet.  The force feedback
> of the IBM widget is what makes it work so well (push hard - moves fast,
> push light - crawls).  I'm not sure what you'll do with the Z axis.

I couldn't find a vendor, except for IBM.  I wasn't discouraged by their
price, but I *require* at least 3 buttons, and none of theirs have that.
Outside of that, I liked the times I've tried it ... but am a little
wary of wear and tear, seeing as they sell those button replacements,
there's got to be a reason why.  Still, if I saw a 3 button version, at
any price, it'd have to be a real string consideration.

> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
> HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).