Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:34:21 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        m3 BSD <m3.bsd.mania@gmail.com>, Damian Wiest <dwiest@vailsys.com>
Subject:   Re: Raid strip with freebsd slices or partitions

On Thursday 28 September 2006 19:43, Damian Wiest wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:35:10PM +0000, m3 BSD wrote:
> > Hi, i would like to do a raid strip with freebsd slices or partitions
> > and not with a entire disk. For example: I've a two SCSI drivers with
> > 68Gb. I want to make a two partitions or slices in two disks, first
> > with 10G and other with 58Gb, this in two disks, and make a raid strip
> > "virtual disk" with 58+58GB = 116 GB, and user other two partitions
> > normaly.
>
> I believe you want to use the GEOM(4) subsystem in general and the
> gstripe(8) command in particular.  I've only used gmirror(8) with
> entire disks, but I believe you can simply specify a device name
> corresponding to the slices you want to stripe.

That's correct. Use bsdlabel to divide the disks how you want them, put your
normal filesystems on (e.g.) ad0s1a and ad2s1a, and use ad0s1d and ad2s1d as
the elements of your gstripe. (e.g. "gstripe label bigvol ad0s1d ad2s1d").

Or you can divide the disk using fdisk and just use slices as the elements of
your gstripe (ad0s2 and ad2s2, for instance). It doesn't matter what the
device actually represents; geom can use it.

JN