Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 00:47:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

> ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffffff"
> would be nice - to remind people that it's possible.

Hmmm, I'll have to leave it commented, of course, but I suppose
that's a reasonable request.

> > Xkerberos_server_enable=NO	# Run a kerberos master server (or NO).
>
> kerberos_server_flags=""
> kadmind_flags="-n"

I think those last two are irrelevant.  I can see how they'd be
orthogonal, but there really isn't any need to add knobs to things
which require no external control inputs. :-) kerberos doesn't appear
to take any flags in practical usage and I think -n is about it for
kadmind as well.  Please correct me if you know of any actual,
real-world examples to the contrary!

> rwhod_flags=""

Same here.  If you know of anyone on this planet using a multicasting
rwhod, please let me know. ;-)

Also understand that it was not my intention to add knobs to anything
which ever offered one - these files would be quite a bit larger if I
were attempting to be comrehensive rather than growing this thing
"organically", as people suggest areas of genuine need.

> nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
>
> > Xnfs_server_enable=NO		# This host is an NFS server (or NO).
>
> mountd_flags=""
> nfs_server_flags="-u -t 4"

Those are reasonable flags, however, since I can easily see how you
might want to play with them on heavily loaded NFS systems.

> rpc_lockd_flags=""
> rpc_statd_flags=""

See first arguments.

> > Xmousedtype=NO		# See man page for rc.conf(8) for available set
tings.
> > Xmousedport=/dev/cuaa0	# Set to your mouse port (required if mousetype
 set)
> > Xmousedflags=""		# Any additional flags to moused.
> Nope, nope, nope.  The last three lines are inconsistent.

Good eye, thanks.

> lpd_enable="YES"
> lpd_flags=""

Got the first already, will add the second.

> savecore_flags="/var/crash"

Actually, Joerg tells me that this is deprecated entirely.  I need to
get the details.

> This must be the only server without any possible flags, but I
> think it's worth staying consistent:
> ibcs2_flags=""

See notes at top. :-)

Thanks for all the feedback!  A fair number of commits came out of
it.

					Jordan