Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:23:41 -0400
From:      Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
Subject:   Problems with sysutils/screen (GNU Screen)

I've been having problems with GNU Screen on FreeBSD 8.x.  First, the
TERMCAP environment variable as automatically set by screen causes
things not to work. (vi says "cannot open terminal database", mutt
says "no terminal database", etc.)  Second, when I put `eval tset -s`
in .bashrc to reset the TERMCAP, curses-based programs work from
command lines in open windows but don't work through "screen
{command}" to launch them in a separate window -- the window flashes
open and back closed.  /usr/local/bin/bash is my login shell.  This
all still works in FreeBSD 7.

Any suggestions?