Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:29:18 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "D.M.P." <gryph@mindless.com>, andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM, kris@airnet.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to the Mac (68K or PPC)

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 01:44:37AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Don't count 68k's out just yet.  There's quite a few Performa and
> > Quadra systems still in use as firewall boxes or low-traffic mail
> > servers.  Just as one would use a 486 for the same jobs with FreeBSD.
>

> FWIW:
>
> 	Name:		Palm Vx
> 	Availability:	October 4
> 	Cost:		$449 (http://www.palm.com/products/palmvx/index.html)
> 	RAM:		8MB
> 	Network:	iRDA
> 	Processor:	68328	<-- Note
> 	Keyboard:	Serial (KeySync Palm Keyboard DKP62, $69.00)
>
> This is enough memory to run a 68x FreeBSD on a Palm Pilot.

For embedded work, m68k and i386 are still useful. I have local changes to
the FreeBSD makefiles to cross build to various targets, including
m68k, PPC and sparc. I hope to commit the cross-build changes after
David O'Brien reviews the egcs/gcc makefile restructure.

Now that I am working for a client with lots of Sparc machines and that
they have given me secure access to these outside hours, I can (finally)
contribute to FreeBSD/Sparc.

I guess that sparc and m68k FreeBSD ports will be like the alpha was -
people won't contribute until some of the initial (no-brain) work
is done. Unlike the alpha port, though, using a NetBSD kernel for
bootstrap purposes is not required.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
               john.birrell@opendirectory.com.au