Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:17:21 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Steve Lake <steve.lake@raiden.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A reason for major ports update?

Steve Lake wrote:
>     Ok, call me the curious cat, but I just cvsupped my ports tonight
> looking for a patch to Xine to fix a problem with MKV playback under KDE
> 3.5 and got quite the shocker.  There were about 101 ports that said
> they needed to be upgraded.  The part that's the kicker is I just
> upgraded everything about 3 weeks ago.  Did I miss something or did
> something big come down the pipe that caused a major number of ports to
> be updated?  Or is this just coincidence?  Just curious.

As was already pointed out, libtool has changed/updated.  For future
reference, /usr/ports/UPDATING and http://www.freshports.org are good
places to check when you see massive updates like this.  This one is, in
fact, explained in UPDATING.  Since libtool is a build dependency you're
probably safe not upgrading everything unless you're like me and depend
on portversion/pkg_version to tell you when things need updating.

Later,
Micah