Date:      30 Jul 2003 08:18:00 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mirroring tool? web snake? getbot?

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> Hi all.  I'm searching and searching the (X11 / GUI) ports at
> www.freebsd.org and www.freshmeat.net but I was wondering if some of you
> could help me with a better, targeted keyword that describes this kind of
> tool or application?
>
> All I'd like is a graphical tool that prompts the user for a URL then
> proceeds to mirror that URL to the working directory or to a "base"
> directory specified in its preferences.  It would also be nice to filter by
> URL's ending in ___ for example, .jpg, .jpeg, .mp3, and so forth.
>
> I used a command line tool called "httrack" for many months until I found
> that upon each successive run of the program, it deletes the results of the
> last run!  Stupid!
>
> Thanks for any ideas you all may have.

The GUI requirement is the tough part here.  There are dozens of
command-line programs that can do roughly what you want (all with
slightly different capabilities, naturally), but a graphical tool
doesn't typically make sense for this purpose.  That's because it's
an automated function by nature.

Last time I needed something like this (years ago now) I did it with
lynx, but one of the other options in ports might serve your wishes
better.