Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 09:37:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Re: 2.05R reboot hangs

>> I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's a BIOS routine that
>> can be used for rebooting the system. Now, I know using BIOS calls is a

>This is the keyboard reset line.  That's the "BIOS" call.  It's the
>standard way rests are done (it's how DOS fdisk did it).

XTs don't have a BIOS reset.  Jumping to the reset vector is the only
way for them.  fdisk might try both, or something more clever depending
on what it is running on.

>The problem with the keyboard reset code is (apparently) that the
>gate A20 has not been reenabled.

Disabled?  This seems likely.  The linear reset address is not
0xF000:0xFFF0 or whatever I said before; it is actually

	%eip      = 0x0000fff0 +
	base(%cs) = 0xffff0000
	          = 0xfffffff0

This has A20 and other high bits set, so it works properly iff the ROM
is shadowed in high memory at all times.  Does GateA20 control A21-31?

Bruce