Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:16:26 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Christopher Blanchard" <cblanchard@cedu.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Fault

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 01:17 pm, Christopher Blanchard wrote:
> I just rebuilt my kernel - see below.  I get the following error message:
>
> Fatal trap 12:  page fault while in kernel mode.
> fault virtual address    = 0x0
> fault code                    = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer       = 0x8:0xc016851c
> stack pointer               = 0x10:0xc034bfb8
> frame pointer              = 0x10:0xc034bfc0
> code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                    = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process          = idle
> interrupt mask            = 12
> panic:  page fault
> Uptime:  0s

Does this happen every time?  What does the end of /var/log/messages show
(give us everything from that boot)  In fact it may be better if you show the
output from boot -v.  Get to that by pressing "any other key" at boot.
	Also what version are you running?  Have you upgraded your source or just
built a kernel with the sources you originally installed?
I don't memorize the kernel config files, but it does seem you have some
unusual things in your config file.  That should never cause the panic
though.  Maybe you just need to upgrade and see if the bug has been fixed.

Tim