Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:17:42 +0000
From:      Dom <misc-freebsd@talk2dom.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPU passthrough: mixed success on Linux, not yet on Windows

On 17/03/2019 16:22, Robert Crowston via freebsd-virtualization wrote:
> 6. On Windows, [...] the GPU never springs into life: I am stuck with a "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" error in the device manager, a blank screen, and not much else to go on.
>
> Is it worth me continuing to hack away at these problems---of course I'm happy to share anything I come up with---or is there an official solution to GPU support in the pipe about to make my efforts redundant :)?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert Crowston.
As far as I know, the nVidia drivers actively try to deny use of
consumer video cards inside a VM guest and error 43 might be a symptom
of this.
Some people have managed to get round this with some non-FreeBSD VM
setups that hide the VM-guest aspect, or change their GPU's reported
hardware/vendor IDs, but I've never managed to recreate this in Bhyve.

e.g. see Question 10 at
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/08/vfiovga-faq.html and also the comments
at the bottom of the page.

Dom