Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:53:49 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1049133230.37f4bd@mired.org>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel - 8th partition shows "X" as Partition name

In <3E81E34D.1010503@gmx.de>, Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de> typed:
> With a maximum of four slices on PCs you can create up to 28
> partitions, which should be sufficient for a disk.

You can put FreeBSD partitions in extended slices, so the upper limit
is significantly higher than 28.

> I once tried to use (in DOS-terms) logical partitions within an
> extended partition. This is possible, if you do the math and creation
> of partition tables by hand, but is not supported by the FreBSD tools.

No, you don't need to do anything by hand. Just disklabel /dev/amr0s5
and so on, and create the partitions in it. I will note that on
5.0-RELEASE, the extended slice devices didn't get created for me.

Of course, one has to wonder why anyone needs as many as seven
partitions on a single disk. It's far more common to want to go the
other way, and have multiple disks in a single partition.

	<mike