Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:56:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, aryeh.friedman@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > > > Just a side question... if it is so complete why was there a need to
 > > > modify the orginal UCB version?... specifically there is no reason not
 > > > to discuss improvements.
 > >
 > > The modification that happened was to remove restrictions.
 > > What you propose is to add restrictions, which means that
 > > it would be less free.  That's a step backwards and will
 > > not happen.
 >
 > Which are completely optional (adding options is always good)

Optional clauses are useless.  They don't add anything to
the license, because you already have the option to do
anything that's not expressedly forbidden by the existing
clauses.

 > > The OP's posting rather sounds like regression testing and
 > > QA needs to be improved.
 >
 > Which are always unglamorous jobs and thus the least likelly to be
 > done without some kind of reward greater then a pat on the back.

I think the RE team already does quite a good job, and it
is my impression that it gets better with every release.

FreeBSD already _does_ have a quite extensive regression
testing framework; have a look at src/tools/regression.
Of course there's always room for improvement and expansion.

 > "Free software != Free beer"

I think that's an oversimplification that misses the spirit
of the BSD license, and how it is different from licenses
such as the GPL.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you
I didn't have C++ in mind."
        -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97