Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:23:27 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        Brian <Brian@bossbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cp -Rp Nightmare unable to access /usr

Brian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a FreeBSD 5.2.1 test box at home for Apache,PHP,MySQL.
>
> I wanted to move the default mysql dabatse location from /var/db/mysql to
> /usr/mysql
>
> What I did was cp -Rp /var/db/mysql  /usr
>
> I know now it was wrong for the most part I know how stupid this idea was.
>
> I now can't ssh to the box I get the error below
>
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/reports: Permission denied
> /usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied

/home lives in /usr/home so it is able that you overwrote permissions
for that, strangely enough you aren't even allowed to access bash, so it
seems to me that more happened then just a recursive copy of
/var/db/mysql to /usr...

you should chown them back to the original user (if you can still login
as root preferable at the console, ls -lart and check the permissions on
the directories...) and next time consider something like: cp -pr
/var/db/mysql /usr (so that the entire directory gets copied instead of
recursive access all dirs and copy them with file information
preservation (permissions,timestamp etc) into /usr

If you are not able to do that, then it seems that it really got
messed up, what you can do then is use a freesbie cd (live cd) to boot
the system, access the data on it and backup the data. Then a reinstall
would cause everything to return to normal.

This is how i would do it, any better suggestions are of course welcome! :-)

Cheers!

--
Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |remko@elvandar.org