Date:      13 Apr 1999 14:45:37 +0200
From:      Marko Schuetz <marko@ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device numbering for e.g. da?

I'd like to suggest that in addition to the devices /dev/da? there
should be device containing the channel, SCSI id and lun of the
device.

The motivation is that I had a couple of SCSI disks in a machine and
/ was not on the first one. When there was some disk trouble such that
the first drive was no longer detected correctly, the drive with SCSI
id 1 became the first drive (da0) but since /etc/fstab was not changed
accordingly the system didn't finish booting, giving some message like
'could not change root to da1s1a'.

If there is another solution to the problem I would be glad to learn
it. One solution would be to use SCSI ids (as jumpered on the drive)
in /etc/fstab.

Marko