Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:13:17 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        GoodleafJ@immunex.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT question -- Books on OS basics

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:38:56AM -0700, GoodleafJ@immunex.com wrote:
> Thanks for the responses so far. As always, I appreciate everyone's
> willingness to help. In this case though I probably didn't explain well
> what I was looking for. I was hoping for theory books on operating systems.
> I'm already acquainted with The Complete FreeBSD and the Handbook. (Thanks
> though.) I want something that will explain different approaches to virtual
> memory, or how the softupdates approach to filesystem management is
> different from the journaling filesystem approach. So I'm not looking
> specifically for FreeBSD stuff, but for OS stuff on a more abstract plane.
> Thanks,
> John

"Operating System Concepts" by Abraham Silberschatz and Peter B. Galvin
might be a good place to start. I think this is quite close to what you
want.
You could also take a look at various book by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
including "Structured Computer Organization", "Distributed Operating
Systems" and "Modern Operating Systems". (Structured Comp. Org. is
mainly about computer architecture but has some material on the
OS-level as well.) The last of these should also be fairly close to
what you want but I haven't read it so I am not sure.

One can also learn quite a lot by just looking at the API of various
operating systems. Quite often a good deal of the internals are exposed
that way. This means that one can get a feeling for how the OS works
'underneath' without needing the source code.

Reading the source for some of the free systems out there can also be
informative but probably not very helpful unless one already
understands the basic ideas.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson