Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:18:46 -0700
From:      Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
To:        "Kent Ho" <kent@graffiti.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

>I want to transfer 6gigabyte worth of user account mainly for mail purposes to
  a new bigger harddisk.  What I want to know is what is the fastest and safe w
 ay to copy the data across?  I can do standard cp but will it be faster to use
  dd instead.  I don't use dd much and cp seems slow on FreeBSD.

dd on the raw partitions would only work if the partitions are
*exactly* the same size (it would copy all of your superblock
information also).  Although it would probably be fast (very little
cylinder-to-cylinder head movement), I don't even recommend trying it.

>Recommendation and opinions welcome..

dump/restore is my recommendation  Assuming the old and new
partitions are mounted on /oldmail and /newmail

# dump -0af - /oldmail | (cd /newmail ; restore -rf -)

You may have to do some clean up after it completes.  If the
directory that you are trying to move is part of a larger partition,
then you will have to delete what you don't want.

If you are running 3.x and you don't have softupdates turned on
already, turn them on (see /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates).
That should speed up writes significantly.

Dan