Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:44:01 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: csup and build question

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 11:23:11 -0800, Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> Quoth Polytropon on Saturday, 01 January 2011:
> > On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 10:38:22 -0800, Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> > > At the risk of confirming my reputation for asking stupid questions:
> > >
> > > If a csup only pulls files in /usr/src/sys, is it safe to assume that the
> > > only rebuilding steps required are to rebuild and install the kernel?  Or
> > > is it possible that world could require a rebuild to take advantage of
> > > some of those kernel changes?
> >
> > Kernel and world should ALWAYS be in sync, this means you
> > should update the full /usr/src tree, not just its sys/
> > subtree, as other files, located at a higher level, may
> > be important (such as /usr/src/Makefile).
> >

> That wasn't my question.  I always do a full csup, but sometimes it only
> pulls files in /usr/src/sys (because those are the only ones that have
> changed since my last csup/build).  In that case, is a buildworld
> required?

If programs or other components of the world do have to
be in sync with kernel or system files (sys/*.h), then
I conclude that world also has to be compiled. In this
regards, it means a change of the kernel, and if the
kernel did change, kernel and world are out of sync,
which implies that both have to be compiled.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany