Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:49:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ata1 resetting

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, at 07:31 [=GMT-0800], Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:58:31AM +0100, Marc Schneiders wrote:

[...]
> > Jan 21 19:47:39 pan /kernel: ata1: resetting devices .. ata1-slave:
> > ATA identify retries exceeded
> > Jan 21 19:47:39 pan /kernel: done
> > Jan 21 22:06:39 pan /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> > resetting
> <snip>
>
> Do you have DMA enabled on those drives when possibly they don't support
> it?

sysctl reports: hw.ata.ata_dma: 1

> What type of ribbon cable are you using - a 40 or 80 conductor?

40, it is a rather old motherboard, as I mentioned.

> Try setting the sysctl(8) value "hw.ata.ata_dmai" to 0 and see what results
> you get.  The errors you are getting look similar to ones I've seen
> where the kernel is trying to use DMA on a drive that doesn't support
> it, or on a drive that supports DMA that is using an improper 40
> conductor cable instead of the correct 80 conductor cable.  You can use
> the atacontrol(8) utilitly to find out more about the capabilities of
> your devices.  For example, `atacontrol cap 0 0` should give you all
> manner of info about your primary master ATA device.

This is what it says:

ATA channel 0, Master, device ad0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    4
device model          ST34312A
serial number         [secret]
firmware revision     3.09
cylinders             8354
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         8420832 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    0/00

So it can do DMA, but doesn't use it??

I have another machine with the same hardware, except for video and
ethernet cards, that does _not_ have the error messages (and the
problem). It also has just one harrdisk, and the problem machine two,
on two channels. Can that be it?

[...]