Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:39:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cause of APM_DSVALUE_BUG found (but not completely fixed yet)

As Nate Williams wrote:

> However, our bootblocks read the BIOS information after ever everything
> else has run, and they provide the (correct!) amount of base and
> extended memory to the kernel.  Currently, the kernel prints out a
> warning message if the RTC value and the bootblock value doesn't match,
> but it still uses the RTC value.

Alas, there are other system ``niceties'' that also subtract some
amount from the BIOS basemem, like hard disk parameter tables for the
custom-selectable hard disk type.  (BIOS vendors should really use the
BIOS stack for this, but only AMI seems to offer this as an option.)
I'm not sure whether we are very interested in preserving this
information.

Anyway, i don't think the wasted at most one page would hurt very
much.

--
cheers, J"org