Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 07:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wham Bang <wham_bang@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crash and burn with 100mbps on 3c905 (3.1-STABLE)

Hi all,

I have a box I'm trying to set up as a gateway for a few machines.
It's got both a 3c509 (ISA) and a 3c905 (PCI) card installed.  The 509
is hooked up to a cable modem and the 905 to a 100BaseT hub.  Both the
hub and the 905's LEDs are in agreement that they're using 100mbs. I'm
using network 10.0.0.0 internally (on the hub).

I sucessfully installed 3.1-STABLE last night via ftp over the 509,
and proceeded to configure the 905's interface.  However, it doesn't
work at all.

First of all, when booting, the card is recognized, but I get a
message to the effect that:

xl0: autoneg not complete (forcing half-duplex, 10Mbps)

(This might not be verbatim, I'm going from memory since I am at work
and the machine at home.)  This message is odd since (as mentioned
above) the LEDs indicate 100mbps...

An "ifconfig -a" after the machine comes up shows the interface is up,
but I can't ping the box from another machine, and whenever I try to
ping out, I crash and burn with a message that looks roughly like
"segfault while in kernel mode (ping)" - and the machine reboots.

Anyone have any ideas?  Am I doing something obviously wrong? Any
known issues with running both a 509 and 905 in the same box? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

===
Wham! <wham_bang@yahoo.com>