Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 11:04:43 -0400
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lnb@cybertouch.org>
To:        Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email and /var

> When freshly installed, Sysinstall creates just a small /var partition

A suggestion for you Chris. As a great fan of a great man, Greg
Lehey, you may wish to do the following which can be found on
page 72 of The Complete FreeBSD:

as root

# mkdir /usr/var
# cd /var
# tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
# cd /
# rm -rf /var
# ln -s /usr/var /var

then reboot to single user mode as shown on 157 and 158 in The
Complete FreeBSD:

boot -s

(If you have changed /etc/ttys to not allow single user mode with
out passwd you will be prompted for it. If not you will just get the
standard question of path to /bin/sh which you just press enter and
take the default)

In single user mode do the following:

# mount -u /
# mount /usr

# mkdir /usr/tmp
# rm -rf /tmp
# ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

# umount /usr
 hit ^d (ctrl+d)
it will then boot normally into multi user mode.

Hope this helps you out.

Lanny Baron
http://freedom.cybertouch.org
http://ca.samba.org/samba/samba.html