Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:07:39 +1000
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: CDROM as system disk

Mike Smith [SMTP:mike@smith.net.au] wrote:
> >  * Then you need to follow through; if its environmental (eg. heat,
> >  * humidity, etc.), fix it.  If it really is the disks, consider using
> >  * better disks.  Plenty of systems up 24/7 have disks 5 years old or more.
> >  * Consider using removable disk sleds and keeping some spares around.
> >
> > It is kind of hard to fix without getting new PC cases.  I'd like our
> > solution to be generic as possible too.
>
> If your current environment kills disks, you need to fix it or remove
> all your disks.  Focus on solving the problem. 8)

As a totally different solution, how about using NFS booting.
You could setup a server box with good quality disks in a good
air flow case and NFS boot all of the other boxes. With 100Mbps
ethernet you should get reasonable performance. Even 10Mbps
should be better than CDROM given the poor seek times, although
sustained transfer speed will be less.

Matt Dillon at www.backplane.com has info on how to do this.

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |