Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Jacob Ritorto <jritorto@tsoft.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: migrating to FreeBSD

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Hmm, I guess this is my end-of-the-month question:  Is there any good
> automated way fo restore my /var filesystem?  Perhaps reinstall an
> original-ish /var fs image?  I haven't gotten to backups yet and I just
> lost all of /var (lucky, actually-- at least it wasn't /usr).  I've been
> hacking it back together piece by piece, but things aren't working quite
> right and I'd like to just try and replace the whole thing.  Anyone have a
> current dump image of a virgin /var, just after a x-developer
> installation?  Short of that, how about a good description of what ought
> to be there & details on the permission structure...

Here's the /var directory structure.  I can't think of any files
that need to be present (doesn't mean there aren't any :)

./account
./at/jobs
./at/spool
./at
./crash
./cron/tabs
./cron
./db/pkg
./db
./log
./mail
./msgs
./preserve
./run
./rwho
./spool/lock
./spool/lpd
./spool/mqueue
./spool/output/lpd
./spool/output
./spool/uucp/.Preserve
./spool/uucp/.Sequence
./spool/uucp/.Status
./spool/uucp/.Temp
./spool/uucp/.Xqtdir
./spool/uucp
./spool/uucppublic
./spool
./tmp/vi.recover
./tmp
./yp

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com