Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:29:03 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi (Lucent) panics on ifconfig wi0 up

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:48:39 + 0000 Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/20/10, knowtree@aloha.com <knowtree@aloha.com> wrote:
>> I have been using the same Lucent Gold pc-card for years, most recently
>> with FreeBSD 7. Over the weekend I redid my Fujitsu T-1010 hard drive,
>> Vista upgrade to Win7, FreeBSD upgrade (fresh install) to 8.0, and added
>> Ubuntu 9.10. Struggling to get either boot0 or Ubuntu's grub to see all
>> three, thought I would install grub from ports since it ought to have the
>> menu info for FreeBSD.Seems odd that Ubuntu's automatic grub menu generator
>> sees Win7 but misses FreeBSD, maybe my partition scheme is messed up.
>>
>> While manually fiddling with ifconfig my system would panic, consistently,
>> on ifconfig wi0 up. This is a fresh install, no changes to KMs, no proc
>> file system, just straight out of the box. Is there something I need to
>> configure to get the wi driver working? The card is recongnized when
>> inserted, the basic entry appears in the ifconfig listing.
>
> That is obiously bug, introduced with VAPs.
> Do not touch wi at all, create wlan first:
> # ifconfig wlan create wlandev wi0
>
> Now you can do with wlan0 what you did with wi0 in older versions.

Thanks, Paul. That fixed the panic. I read the man page for rc.conf and it
does indeed say that cloning is mandatory in 8.0. The man page for wlan was
not very helpful; ifconfig page is a gem but sooooo complicated.

I still cannot connect to my network.

    ifconfig wlan0 ssid MYNET

sets the ssid but

    ifconfig wlan0 up

does nothing ... no carrier. It will go up with ssid unspecified (-), but then

    ifconfig wlan0 scan

hangs until I do ctrl-C, and a "list scan" completes with no output.

Perhaps this is due to more 8.0 newness -- ignorence on my part. Any
suggestion about what to read?

My network uses no encryption but blocks on MAC address. Any chance the
wlan is fiddling with this? The address displays correctly in ifconfig.
Tonight I can try opening up the access point.

Thanks in advance!
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp@aloha.com