Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:58:55 -0800
From:      Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patching a Newly-Built System

>> Does it make any difference if one adds packages to a new system
>> before or after using cvsup to bring the patch level up to date?
>
> By "bringing the patch level up to date" I assume you mean a tag such
> as this one:
>
>  *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0
>
> in your standard-supfile file, and then doing the "make buildworld"
> etc. prodedure outlined in the Handbook.
>
> The release branches (such as RELENG_8_0) get only very minor
> modifications from the time the release is made.  The patches are only
> ones that address really serious issues, and the extent of the changes
> is usually very minimal.  Whather you install ports before or after
> you update to the latest patch for your release should make absolutely
> no difference.

To clarify, ports (/usr/ports/) and your base system (/usr/src/) are
independent.  When RELENG_8_0 gets a new patch, it has nothing to do
with ports.

Are you using precompiled packages or building from ports?
Precompiled packages don't get updated after a release is made.  I
think most people build ports from source instead of using the
precompiled package system.  This way, your ports will continue to be
updated with the latest fixes.  By building ports from source I mean
``cd /usr/ports/category/portname/ ; make install clean''.