Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:19:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      yossman <yossman@nonline.net>
To:        mike@hyperreal.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2.0-RELEASE -- HDD code weirdness?

following my own post, i discovered later last night that if i changed the
BIOS on the system to read the HDD with LBA mode, instead of NORMAL mode,
the bootup from the HDD suddenly started working.

maybe this sounds like newbieness, but i didn't realize that the FreeBSD
boot manager needed to have the drive geometry translated for it on bootup.
i know that it seems to ignore what the system BIOS is saying AFTER the
initial bootstrap phase, when it's mounting all the drive slices it appears
to be reading the C/H/S straight from the HDD's BIOS itself, but while it's
doing the initial boot drive selection/bootstrap loading it seems to NEED
that drive translation service provided by the system BIOS.

perhaps it depends what harddrive you're using (HDD brand/model) and what
BIOS you're using on the system.. i haven't quite determined what the full
details are yet, but i definitely learned something last night. ;)

even though i installed FreeBSD in on the system with only NORMAL mode from
the BIOS, changing it after the install seems to work fine.. not sure if i'm
going to run into problems later, but assuming my 'theory' is correct about
FreeBSD ignoring the system BIOS after initial boot i don't think i'm going
to have a problem.

thanks for listening. ;)

yossman

Yossarian Holmberg (yossman)                        yossman@nonline.net
Senior Systems Administrator                    http://www.nonline.net/
National Online Inc.                    National Computers and Supplies