Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:59:36 +0900
From:      Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/devel/icu: PTHREAD_LIBS clean

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:32:17 -0500
Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 08:27, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> = Hi mi!
> = 	I found a problem that icu don't reflect PTHREAD_LIBS=ANY(like -lthr).
> = 	Please check following patch.
> Thanks, I'll try it... Do you need it to be thread-aware though? It is built
> by default without threads at all (because threads are/were busted on
> FreeBSD/ia64).

	Now, there is a argument about libthr is default on 7.x.
	We test libthr environment little(maybe only on sparc64).
	But we don't almost test it on i386.  So I'm testing
	libthr environment on 7-current/i386.

	It is a rule that BLENDING THREAD LIBRARIES IS TOO DANGER.
	So if we try to get libthr environment, we must select
	following approch.

	1. PTHREAD_LIBS=-lthr
	   So I removed libpthread.*, I'm testing.

	2. WITHOUT_LIBPTHREAD=yes >> /etc/src.conf and make world
	   ru@ committed this way.  So I can do it.
	   But we can only use on 7-current.  If you'll try to get
	   libthr environment, you can only select 1.

	3. libpthread.so.2 -> libthr.so.2 in /etc/libmap.conf IS TOO BAD
	   I don't think this approch is good, believe that I'll get
	   unstable environment.

> ICU developers think, threads ought to be enabled, but there really is no
> software at the moment, which calls into ICU from multiple threads at the
> same time, AFAIK...

	I don't think trying to use multiple threads at the same time.
	But if applications use libthr, libraries must use libthr, too.