Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:46:01 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connection refusal for an NFS mount

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:16:16PM +0200, David Landgren wrote:
> List,
>
> On an old Redhat box (address 172.17.0.18), I'm trying to mount an NFS
> export from a FreeBSD (5.2.1-RELEASE) box. Both machines are on the same
> network segment, and neither have any onboard firewalling rules.

[...]

> (I understand, from reading the handbook, that I should be using rpcbind
> rather than portmap). This server has been an NFS server in the past, so
> I know it worked at some point. I'm not sure if I'm missing a daemon in
> the mix, or if there's something else I've overlooked.
>
> Any clues will be most graciously received :)

For starters try "showmount -e the.freebsd.ip.address" on the Linux box
to see if the Linux box sees the NFS daemons on the FreeBSD machine.

mountd needs to be running on the FreeBSD host (apparently yours is
running). When /etc/exports changes mountd needs to be informed:
	kill -s HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`

Also at least in the past Linux distributions defaulted NFS to
non-reserved ports. Your Linux may not be talking to the same ports as
the FreeBSD machine is listening.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net