Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2003 01:01:52 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu2@xnet.ro>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dd an audio cd on 5.x ?

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 23:43, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 July 2003 22:55, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >> That command will copy a data disk, but you have separate
> >> tracks on this thing.
> >
> > Ok. And if I want to copy bit by bit ?
>
> You'd have to obtain the glass master used to press the original to
> get an absolutely exact copy.  "bit-by-bit" accuracy of the raw CD is
> not very easy or even desirable to obtain due to ECC hardware fixing
> minor errors: for audio, you want a "bit-by-bit" accurate copy of the
> data after ECC processing, not before.

OK, do you know any method to do it under BSD ? There are some cdtools
in the ports that claim to do DAE - but I haven't the time to look in
thecode to see how it is done and if there is any difference between
using a SCSI an an IDE drive.

> Better CD-burners let you do something known as DAO+96 ot TAO+96,
> which lets you override the ECC hardware when reading or writing, and
> thus copy even the errors from the original, which can be useful for
> copy-protected data CD's rather than for audio....

We have a potential client who asked about studying both cases and make
him a app that could say if it's an "original" or not so this sounds
interesting (we're pretty new on this).

Thanks,
IOnut