Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 2009 19:10:34 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Maciej Jan Broniarz <gausus@gausus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs on gmirror slice

Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
> 2009/9/1 Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>:
>
>>On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
>>

>>I'm not familiar with gmirror, but it'd be a way better idea to mirror it
>>using ZFS if possible - that way you get self-healing and stuff like that,
>>which you won't if ZFS doesn't have a mirror/RAIDZ setup, but only sees a
>>single slice.
>>

> I would like to do so. I have to disks (ad4 and ad5). Is it possible
> to create two slices on both disks (eg ad4s1 and ad4s2 for ad4).
> Then to create gmirror on ad4s1, install freebsd on it so it would
> boot from it. Then, after having my system running to create zfs
> mirror from ad4s2 and ad5s2?

Yes, I am using it this way:

root@cage ~/# gmirror status
        Name    Status  Components
mirror/gms1  COMPLETE  ad4s1
                        ad6s1

root@cage ~/# zpool status
   pool: tank
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad4s2   ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad6s2   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

root@cage ~/# zpool list
NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT
tank                    444G    353G   91.2G    79%  ONLINE     -

gmirror gms1 is for system files, ports etc. zpool (444GB) is for jails

Miroslav Lachman