Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2019 10:13:55 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for PCI express SCSI diff card recommendations

Am 13.01.2019 um 23:27 schrieb Scott Long:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I don’t know of any PCI Express cards that do SCSI, much less HVD SCSI.  You might need to start looking at SAS or Fibre Channel for future tape drives.  Ken Merry would be a good person asl about those.
>
> Scott
>

>> On Jan 13, 2019, at 3:22 PM, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have an existing SCSI differential PCI card which works. I want to consolidate
>> some services into another chassis, so I am looking for a similar / equivalent card
>> for a PCIE slot.
>>
>> This is a photo of the connector, showing the SCS symbol.  https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240 <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240>;
>>
>> I am looking for help in locating a replacement. I do not know what to search for.

Not sure if I understood the problem correctly.
Are you looking for HVD or LVD?
The latter is no problem, there's plenty of LSI20320IE, which use the
53c1020F and a PLX PCI-X<->PCIe bridge.
There's also a quiet well maintained Dell OEM firmware which added boot
support improvement which I don't remeber all, but I'm running this
firmware also on HP and original LSI cards (make sure to check the chip
revision, there's a difference in 1030[""|"T"], while the latter is
similar to 1020F – ATTENTION, please read yourself the correct numbers,
just typing from memory, might not be exactly correct!
(all to IT firmware, IR is another sotry, I never had a 53c1030 with
Raid Firmware in operation)

vhdci68->hd68 cables are no problem to get, so I guess it doesn't matter
that the 20320IE has VHDCI as opposed to one card shown in your picters,
which has HD68.
I also used the 20320 in SE mode. No problems besides implcit SE
limitations.
If it's about HVD, I can't tell much.  I guess I have a RS/6000 with an
HVD controller, but never found time to check/play.

You can look for firmware here: ftp://ftp.omnilan.depub/firmware/
[Dell|LSI].  Somtimes I x-linked compatible images, but not for the
53c1030 as far as I could see.

Best,

-harry

P.S.: Has anybody used HPs Tape boot firmware feature?  Always wondered
how they implemented this and if it really works with what drives on
what hosts...