Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:08:35 -0700
From:      Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>, Andrey Zakhvatov <andy@icc.surw.chel.su>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/12690: New port: gperiodic-1.2.1

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:50:49PM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 05:02:19PM -0700, Chris Piazza wrote:
> > >
> > > Alternatively, just add one copy of GNU COPYING to the base system and
> > > advertise its location, sans any symlink.
> >
> > The handbook says NOT to install the GPL.
>
> Chris, go look at rev. 1.94 of porting.sgml in its old location, and
> tell me _who_ added that little instruction.  :) :)

Ouch on my part :-).  Is eivind's name that hard to spell? ;)

> [That's also the commit message where I managed to misspell Eivind's
>  name not once but four times ... don't feel obligated to point that
>  out to me, though...  ;-]

oh...

> It's actually something Satoshi said once on the -ports list.  When I
> added that note, however, I also had in the back of my mind that we
> should add one reference copy of COPYING somewhere.  Andrey's symlink
> idea is kind-of neat and works well with the idea of a more
> standardized docdir, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

I guess it makes sense to have one copy in the system, though
I don't really see the need except maybe saving a bit of
disk space. Actually that's losing itif all ports followed that
Don't *grin*.

> Other than files inside /usr/src/contrib and /usr/src/gnu (which don't
> count), the only standard location that I could find was inside the
> gcc info pages.  We really should have a single copy in some
> referencable place since a lot of GPL'd programs refer to "the file
> COPYING, which you should have received with this program" and because
> of clause #1 of the GPL.

AFAIK (I haven't looked at it in a while..) the GPL doesn't say you have
to install the license, just distribute it with the source.

-Chris

--
cpiazza@home.net              cpiazza@FreeBSD.org
"I don't like principles.  I prefer prejudices."