Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:33:08 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning C on FreeBSD...

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 04:10:28PM -0500, Nathan Ahlstrom wrote:

> > I wouldn't recommend the Kernighan/Ritchie book as a first book, although
> > it is a good book on C. Probably a more authorative source for C would be
> > any book by Herbert Schildt, Osborne/McGraw Hill Press. Check out:
> > http://www.osborne.com
> >

> The Kernighan/Ritchie book _is_ the authorative source for C.

You may as well pick up Programming in the Unix Environment by the
same authors, too. It will introduce you to the shell, make, sed,
awk, lex, yacc, etc. There is even a section on the unix text formatting
tools in case you want to document your programs to be understood by
the man command.

Slim, inexpensive and highly recommended.

> The book
> that you are suggesting is probably easier for a C newcomer to understand.

Herbert Schildt is also known affectionately as Herbert Bullschildt
on comp.lang.c for reasons that have nothing to do with his engaging
writing style :-)

Puritanism (and outright errors) aside, he invokes things like void
main() which is not a good habit to get into in a unix environment.
His Annotations to Standard C (I'm not sure about exact title, have
not read it, myself) are a running joke and there is even has a web
site annotating the errors in the Annotations.

His books are also very Windows centric.

Both K&R books are easy to understand and extremely well written.
If you have experience with any other procedural language, there
is no point fretting over the decision: buy K&R's The C Programming
Language.

There are also plenty of tutorials on the web if you want or need
dumbed down but possibly inaccurate information.